Increase possibilities and expand horizons of your Apple TV device with a VPN. Just setup VPN on Apple TV and never face location blocks again. Say goodbye to censorships and get rid of slow streaming due to ISP throttling or more.
The setup process of FastestVPN on Apple TV is just a matter of a few clicks. Below is a comprehensive blog explaining how?
Why would I use a VPN on Apple TV?
Before diving into how to setup a VPN on Apple TV, let’s first jot down WHY you need a VPN. As we all know, the primary purpose of a VPN is to provide security and anonymity. It not only does that but serves more in case of Apple TV and other streaming devices. Setting up FastestVPN on your Apple TV means getting access to geo-restricted video content from all over the world.
Like most leading VPN service providers, FastestVPN gives specific servers to get around video content or website blocks.
The reasons don’t stop here. Whatever your reasons are, read on to setup fastest VPN on Apple TV easily without any trouble.
How to use a VPN on Apple TV?
If you’re reading this blog then you obviously already know the benefits of using a VPN on your Apple TV. So, let’s come to the process of how to set it up. The process is simple and an easy setup.
Here is how you can setup FastestVPN on Apple TV manually:
- Get FastestVPN’s DNS server IP
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings
- From language and region section, go to Apple TV Language
- Change your iTunes Store Location to match that of FastestVPN
- Now go back to Settings
- Select Network
- Choose Wi-Fi and select the Wi-Fi connection
- Select Configure DNS and change settings to Manual (from automatic)
- Now, Input DNS server IP provided by FastestVPN
- Select Done
- Restart Apple TV for changes to apply
Now access content from a country of your choice on your Apple TV. For any queries, contact FastestVPN’s support available 24/7.
Connect Apple TV to a Wireless Router Running a VPN
To connect Apple TV with a router, the following are simple steps to set it up:
- Subscribe to FastestVPN
- Make sure you have a VPN compatible router
- Configure FastestVPN on a router
- While configuring, choose the server location to unblock the content you want to watch
- Connect Apple TV with VPN-enabled router
Connect Apple TV to a Laptop Running VPN & Acting as a Wi-Fi
This is a simple task for which all you need to do is the following:
- Get a laptop with LAN or Ethernet connection
- Subscribe to FastestVPN account
- Get FastestVPN app for your laptop (Mac or Windows)
- Enter username and password and have the app running on your laptop
- Choose the US server and connect to it
- Once connected, convert your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Connect your Apple TV to your Wi-Fi hotspot and you’re sorted.
Setup VPN on Apple TV via Network Sharing Using Ethernet
For this to work, you need a computer to work as a VPN router. To start with the configuration, you first need to download FastestVPN app on your device. Your laptop will already be connected to the Wi-Fi network so now you just need to attach one end of LAN cable into your laptop with the other end in the Apple TV. Now connect to FastestVPN using the IP of your choice. Next, follow the steps below:
For Windows Users:
- Go to “Control Panel” and click on “Network and Sharing Center”
- Click on Change Adapter Settings
- Go to Connection properties
- Under the sharing tab, click on “Allow other Network users to connect through this computer connection”
- This will enable your Apple TV device to connect to the internet via your computer with a LAN cable using the already running FastestVPN connection on the computer
For Mac OSX Users:
- Go to “System Preferences”
- Select “Sharing Option”
- Go to “Internet Sharing”
- From there go to “Share Your Connection from” select “Airport” mode
- Now, go to “To computer using”
- Select “Ethernet” so that your Apple TV device can use internet through your Mac device’s LAN port
- Switch your Apple TV on to take full advantage of your VPN to watch unlimited hours of unrestricted, online streaming via Apple TV
Can I use a free VPN for Apple TV?
You can try using a free VPN but it is already advised against using a free VPN for anything, let alone for Apple TV. For starters, a free VPN service is app based. So you cannot set one up on a router manually.
If you search hard enough, you might be able to come across and find configuration files for the OpenVPN server. But even if then you connect to it, it will be congested with free users who are probably using it for the same purpose – streaming video content.
With a free VPN it is quite likely that there are limitations to bandwidth and data caps which means that buffering will take up most of your time and you may also be cut off in the middle of a show.
A free VPN also doesn’t let you choose your own protocol or server for that matter, unlike a paid VPN service like FastestVPN which lets you choose the server of your choice to access the content you desire from anywhere in the world.
Other than that, a free VPN service is a feeding ground of many as it collects a user’s personal data and then sells that very information to third parties for personal gains.
Some free VPNs also inject tracking cookies or may download malware onto your device.
Just because a VPN is free, doesn’t mean they are running for a charitable cause. They are out to make a profit, just as much as a paid VPN, except at the cost of your privacy. Instead of taking subscription money from the user, a free VPN provider makes the profit by two folds by selling your information to the highest bidder that comes their way.
VPNs to avoid with Apple TV
HideMyAss! Is a paid service but even then it has been given quite a few negative remarks in the past. It has said to provide information to authorities when asked, which clearly means it logs data. Other than that, a security vulnerability was also discovered in 2017 that depicted that hackers were allowed access to a user’s laptop easily obtaining confidential data and information.
This is a peer to peer proxy service. The mechanism of this is such that other computers can connect to it when you are not using it. This obviously has serious privacy and security implications. Hola itself has exploited its users in the past – which is an evident abuse of user trust.
The first reason to NOT go for this service is because it is a free VPN. Other reasons include the fact that the company uses shifty data retention and advertising practices. There have been complaints also that Hotspot shield hijacks users’ HTTP requests and redirects them to their own affiliate websites. They are now also popularly known for injecting cookies and allowing mine browsing to sell data to third parties, making a profit of their own.
Kodi on Apple TV
Kodi users will be delighted to find out that Kodi can be now be installed and experienced on Apple TV 2, Apple TV 3 and Apple TV 4.
It is strongly recommended to use a VPN when using Kodi – be it any device – as Kodi is open-source and a reliable VPN (such as FastestVPN) will prevent hackers from carrying out attacks on the Kodi platform. It will also keep away ISP from snooping around or throttle your speed.
Arm yourself with FastestVPN and never have to encounter any digital nuisance. Enhance your streaming experience on your Apple TV without cable. Just setup VPN on Apple TV via a router and once connected, enjoy an experience like no other!