Kodi is an exceptional media streaming player that allows you to stream tons of media content including movies, series, live sports, IPTV channels, and lets you listen to your favorite music and radio instantly. For users who are thinking about updating Kodi on their preferred device, this guide will explain you different methods on how to update Kodi on Firestick, Mac, Android, Windows, Raspberry Pi, Apple TV and much more! Check out this guide here to know how to install latest Kodi updates.
Before you move to our guides, you should know that Kodi brings you content from unreliable torrent sources and streaming that content without any safety can be harmful. To protect yourself against any threat, you must equip your devices with a Kodi VPN to ensure security and anonymity when you stream your favorite media on Kodi. In addition, a VPN will also allow you to stream geo-restricted content on Kodi without any restrictions. So, get a Kodi VPN for Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, and other devices and stream on Kodi as long as you want.
How to Update Kodi on Fire TV Stick
Updating Kodi on Firestick is simple and can be done through two different methods. So, if you have an older Kodi version on your Fire TV Stick, follow any one of these two methods below on how to update Kodi on Firestick.
Before you try to update Kodi on Fire TV Stick, make sure you have enabled “apps from unknown sources” option from FIrestick settings.
- Go to Settings, select system and then Developer Options
- Enable “Apps from unknown sources” option
- Update Kodi with either of the following methods
How to Update Kodi on FireStick Using ES File Explorer
- From your FireStick Main Menu> click on Search box and type ES File Explorer
- Open ES File Explorer app (you can also download this app from here if you don’t have it)
- Select Tools and Then click on Download Manager from the left-side menu
- Click on the ‘+New’button from the bottom menu
- Enter this URL: “http://bit.ly/Kodi-17_6-Krypton-APK” and then Click OK
- Name the path i.e. Kodi
- Now select Download Now
- It will download the latest Kodi Krypton 17.6 version
- Once the download is done, Click Open File and it will start the installation on your FireStick device automatically
- Return to FireStick Home Screen and Launch the Kodi Krypton 17.6 version
- Stream your favorite media content with the new Kodi Update.
How to Update Kodi on Firestick Using Downloader App
- Click on the Search bar from Firestick Home Screen.
- Type “Downloader” and hit enter
- Click on the Downloader app icon to Install it
- Launch the Downloader app and enter this URL http://kodi.tv/download , hit GO.
- Once the download page load, scroll down and click the android icon.
- When you do that, a new window will pop up with various Kodi updates
- Select the latest update version you want to download and the download will start
- Once downloaded, click on Install
- After installation is over, click on Done
- Now, head back to home screen and launch Kodi
- Enjoy streaming Content with Kodi on Firestick.
How to Upgrade to Latest Kodi Version on Android Devices
It doesn’t matter what android device you have, updating Kodi on Android is pretty easy and quick. To know how to update Kodi on Android phones, Android Box, or Android Tablet, follow the below guides and install new updates on your Android devices in seconds.
How to Update to Kodi Leia 18 Alpha 1 on Android
- Go to kodi.tv from your Android browser
- Click on the Downloads button from the top right corner
- Scroll down and click on the Android icon
- A new window will appear. Click the Pre-Release button at the top
- Look for Kodi Leia 18 Alpha 1 and select it to install
- There you go! You’ve installed the latest Kodi update.
- Launch Kodi and start streaming.
How to Update Kodi on Android Box (Mxq, Mxq Pro and others)
- Go to the Apps section from your Android Box Home screen
- Click on Browser App and enter this URL https://kodi.tv/download
- Once the page load, scroll down and click the android icon
- You will see two options to install Kodi 17.6 on: Google Play or Select ARMV7A
- If you are asked to select either ES Downloader or Browser to download Kodi. Select ES Downloaderand the downloading will begin
- Once Kodi 17.6 is downloaded, return to Android Box Home Screen
- Now Select Apps and then click on AppInstaller app
- A pop up will appear asking permission for installation in either ScanDisk SD Card or Local Disk, choose Local Disk
- You will find Kodi Android App in thelisted, click on it
- A new window will appear with information regarding new Kodi version replacing the old version. Click All and then hit Install
- Once the installation is finished, click Open to launch Kodi
- You have successfully updated Kodi on Android Box.
- Browse your favorite media and enjoy streaming.
How to Update Kodi on Android Tablet
To update Kodi on Android Tablet:
- Turn on your Android Tabletand launch Google Play Store
- Search “Kodi” in the Search Box
- Select the Kodi appfrom the list, click on Update
- The latest updates will start to download on your Android tablet.
- Once done, launch Kodi and enjoy streaming on Android Tablets!
How to Update Kodi on Android Phone
You can update Kodi on your Android Phones in two different ways; from Kodi website or through Google Play tore.
Update Kodi on Android from Kodi Website
- Open Android Browserand go to Kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down and select the Android icon
- Select ARMV7A(32BIT) and the Downloadwill start automatically
- Once the file is downloaded, open the downloaded file from the notification slider
- You will be asked to enable “apps from unknown sources” in order to install the updates
- Click on settings and turn on Unknown sources option
- Finally click Install
- Launch the latestKodi version on your Android phones and enjoy!
Update Kodi Using Google Play Store
- Simply launch Google Play Store on your Android phone
- Search for Kodi
- Select Update
- Once the update is done, launch Kodi
- Enjoy streaming.
Recommended: Use a reliable Kodi VPN to access geo-restricted channels and add-ons on Kodi from anywhere. Stay Protected and anonymous when using Kodi!
How to Update Kodi on Windows
Want to update Kodi on Windows devices? Well, we are going to explain to you just that. There are two methods by which you can update Kodi on Windows; by Windows Installer Kodi add-on, or through Windows Store. Use any one of the methods from below to update Kodi on Windows.
How to Update Kodi on Windows Using Windows Installer
- Launch Kodion Windows and go to Add-ons
- Click on Package Installer (Box icon)from the top left corner
- Select Install from Repository
- Choose Kodi Add-ons Repository
- Go to Program Add-ons and select Windows Installer from the list
- Now hit Install
- Return to Kodi Home Screen and select Add-ons > Program Add-ons
- Now click on Kodi Installer and then on Releases
- Select Win32 option
- You will now see a list of latest Kodi Krypton versions
- Select Kodi 17.6 or latest and the downloading will start.
- Restart Kodi and enjoy.
How to Update Kodi on Windows with Kodi Website
- Visit Kodi.tv/download on Windows, scroll down and click on the windows icon
- A new windows with different releases and versions including Pre-Release and recommended versions will pop up
- Select the latest or pre-release version you want to install,
- The download will begin automatically
- Once done, you have updated Kodi on Windows effectively!
- Launch Kodi and enjoy streaming.
Updating to Kodi on Windows with Windows Installer
- Launch Kodi on Windows and select Add-ons
- Click on Package-installer icon from top left corner
- Select Install from Repository
- Scroll down and select Kodi Add-on Repository
- Choose Program Add-ons and click on Kodi Windows Installer
- Hit Install
- Now launch the Kodi Windows Installer add-on and go to Releases
- Choose Win32 option and then select the latest Kodi version you want to install
- The updates will start automatically
- Once done, restart Kodi and begin streaming global content on Windows
How to Update to Latest Version of Kodi on Mac
The process to update on Mac is similar to that of Windows. Follow the steps highlighted below:
Updating Kodi on Mac is as easy as updating it on Windows. You can easily install kodi updates via its website on to your Mac. Follow these simple steps:
- Open Safari and visit www.kodi.tv/downloads
- Scroll down and click on MacOS icon
- A new window will pop up, click on Installer (64Bit) to start the download
- Once downloaded, Open the file
- Finally, click Install
- Launch Kodi and enjoy streaming media on Mac.
How to Update Kodi on Apple TV 2
To update Kodi on Apple TV, you need to use your Mac system. Here are the steps to update Kodi to the latest version:
(Make sure both Mac and Apple TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi)
- Turn on Mac and open Terminal
- Type this command: ssh email@example.com (Replace 192.168.1.1 with your Apple TV IP address)
- If you’ve entered the command correctly, you will be asked to enter the password of your device. Enter alpine if you haven’t changed the password)
- Now enter the following command exactly in this pattern:
- apt-get install wget
- wget -0- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add –
- echo ?deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- echo ?eb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
- Once you enter these commands correctly, your Apple TV will restart Once restarted, you will see Kodi updated.
- Launch it and enjoy streaming on Apple TV.
How to Update Kodi on GBox
GBox users can also update Kodi on their streaming device by following these instructions below:
- From your GBox home Screen, launch Browser and visit Kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down and click the Android icon
- Select ARM to download the latest kodi version
- Once done, a screen will appear asking your permission to install the downloaded file, Select New and then hit Install
- It will update Kodi on GBox.
- Launch Kodi and enjoy streaming on Gbox
How to Update Kodi on Raspberry Pi
To update Kodi on Raspberry Pi, follow these steps:
- visit http://openelec.tv on Raspberry Pi browser
- Scroll down and click on Download
- Click on Raspberry Pi Builds
- Select Raspberry to build compatible with your raspberry Pi generation to Download the Zip File
- Extract the Zip File on your Raspberry Pi
- Now Copy extracted files to a micro SD car To do that, you need a software called Rufus to create bootable USB drives. download Rufus from here.
- Once Rufus is downloaded, a box will appear prompting you to enter basic information
- Select your Micro SD cardfrom device option
- Select Disk imageon the box
- Now browse and uploadthe extracted file you copied on your SD Card
- Hit the Start button and the files will be replaced
- Eject the SD cardand then insert it into Raspberry Pi device
- Turned ON your Raspberry Pi device
- Kodi is now updated on your Raspberry Pi device.
How to Update Kodi on Linux
Updating Kodi on Linux is as straightforward as installing it. Its really easy and can be done within seconds. Simply follow the instructions given below:
- On your Linux device, open Terminal and type these following Commands exactly how they are shown:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- If the above command doesn’t work and require additional files. Enter this Command exactly:
- sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
There you have it, you have successfully update Kodi on Linux. Enjoy streaming.
How to Update Kodi on iPad
For those who want to know how to update Kodi on iPad, here is a simple guide you can use to update Kodi on iPad within seconds:
- launch Safari browser and go to https://kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down and click the iOS icon
- Select DEB File
- Kodi download will start automatically
- Once the file is downloaded, click on ‘Open In’and select Copy to iFile
- Now select Installer and it will automatically install the latest Kodi version for iPad.
- Launch Kodi and start streaming media on iPad.
Kodi is an exceptional streaming platform and it can be installed easily on a lot of devices. Moreover, updating Kodi is as easy as installing it. And with this help of our guide above on how to update Kodi on any device, you wouldn’t have any problems in upgrading Kodi to the latest version and stream your favorite media content whenever you want.